National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 329] Re: Discussion: video as a prof. devlpmt tool.

Julie McKinney julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Fri Jun 9 12:35:03 EDT 2006

David mentioned a video collection for the field, and referenced, among
others, the Lab School in Portland, where they actually do have huge
collection of videos that can be accessed for research use, and probably
for PD efforts as well. Dominique, and/or anyone else from the Lab
School, can you tell us more about how this works with the video
collection? How can programs from around the country access this
collection? It seems like a very unique, and possibly underused
resource!

Read more about the lab school and their use of video in Volume 8A of
FOB:

The Lab School
http://www.ncsall.net/?id=987

This issue also has several articles about how teachers used the videos
for research in ESOL learning.

Julie

Julie McKinney
Discussion List Moderator
World Education/NCSALL
jmckinney at worlded.org

>>> djrosen at comcast.net 06/08/06 10:59 AM >>>

Aaron and others,

I would like to see our field have a large digital video collection
of excellent examples of teaching. These "learning objects," or
relatively short classroom digital video clips, could demonstrate for
example: a teaching approach, technique, or method; a way of
organizing a classroom; a way to integrate technology; or a way to
use certain materials. Each clip could be linked to a widely agreed-
upon teaching quality standard. It should be online, accessible free
to teachers anytime, anywhere, and also to those who could use them
in their online or face-to-face professional development courses or
workshops.

Some examples of this exist in the area of integrating technology in
the classroom. In our field this began several years ago with the
very well done, and still relevant "Captured Wisdom" project by Lynda
Ginsburg, Jennifer Elmore and others [ http://www.ncrtec.org/pd/cw/
adultlit.htm ] . Current good work is being done in California by
Marian Thacher and others at OTAN [ http://www.otan.us/Itap/index.cfm?
fuseaction=videogallery ]. These are short classroom examples of
teachers and students integrating technology well. I have learned a
lot about how to integrate technology well from both Captured Wisdom
and OTAN instructional Technology Assistance Project videos.

There are also examples of digital videos on line from the Portland,
Oregon National Labsite for Adult ESOL [http://www.labschool.pdx.edu/
video_demo.html ] , a FOB article on this at [ http://www.ncsall.net/?
id=987 ] and an archived discussion which began on this list in
February, 2006
[ http://www.nifl.gov/pipermail/focusonbasics/2006/000157.html ].

Are there other online digital video examples of good adult education
teaching?

I think we need a major, multiyear national project to build an
online digital searchable database of "standards-based" examples of
good teaching. Would this be useful to you as a teacher, tutor,
administrator, or professional developer? If so, what would you like
to see in this database?

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net

On Jun 8, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Aaron Kohring wrote:

> Virginia,

> I'm glad you mentioned how students used video as a resource for

> themselves. I remember observing a classroom that was doing a

> series of

> lessons around speaking and listening with a goal of preparing for

> work

> interviews. The students really found video useful as an

> assessment for

> how well they performed.

> Aaron

> At 01:44 PM 6/7/2006 -0700, you wrote:

>> I've used video on my own evaluation and had students use it for

>> theirs.

>> It is a useful tool and helps one be objective about what really

>> happens

>> in a group. We used to set the video up and leave it on

>> regularly, then

>> review what we noticed as a group (students and instructors). We

>> found

>> it a useful tool for program improvement.

>> Va

>>> Everyone,

>>> I wanted to say a little more about the program that I am currently

>>> enrolled and the videotaping requirement. THis is an online

>> certificate

>>> program in English Language Teaching at The New School in NYC. THe

>> nature

>>> of distance learning requires the aid of technology to make the

>> program

>>> work and the videotaping of classroom instruction is purposeful in

>> this

>>> regard. The type of feedback I will get about the teaching and

>> learning

>>> observations is unknown to me at this time, but I hope to have my

>>> own

>>> purpose in viewing the tapes. Jessica's article and comments

>>> from the

>>> discussion will help me to ask the right questions. I'll be sure to

>> share

>>> my experience with the list.

>>> On another note, it's disheartening to me to read David's post

>>> and to

>>> know that the practice of videotaping classroom dynamics has been

>> around

>>> for so long and yet is still not common practice for adult

>>> educators.

>> THe

>>> issues are at least in part about funding but also about the lack of

>>> connection that is experienced by many adult educators. We for the

>> most

>>> part are a team of volunteers or part-timers with very little

>>> power in

>>> determining, what if any PD is offered to us. One of the continuing

>>> discussions about adult education is the way we are separate from

>> other

>>> institutions of learning. This in many ways gives us creative

>>> license

>> but

>>> in many significant ways is disempowering. What do others think?

>>> Esther

>>> --

>>> Search for businesses by name, location, or phone number. -Lycos

>> Yellow

>>> Pages

>> http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/

>> default

>> .asp?SRC=lycos10

> Aaron Kohring

> Coordinator, LINCS Literacy & Learning Disabilities Special Collection

> (http://ldlink.coe.utk.edu/)

> Moderator, National Institute for Literacy's Content Standards

> Discussion

> Coordinator, Equipped for the Future Websites (http://

> eff.cls.utk.edu/)

> Center for Literacy Studies, University of Tennessee

> EFF Center for Training and Technical Assistance

> Phone:(865) 974-4109 main

> (865) 974-4258 direct

> Fax: (865) 974-3857

> e-mail: akohring at utk.edu