National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 320] Re: Discussion: video as a prof. devlpmt tool.

Barbara Garner b.garner4 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 7 17:42:20 EDT 2006

The only other Focus on Basics article that features videotaping that I can think of is by Reuel Kurzet, in Volume 5, Issue D (http://www.ncsall.net/?id=232). She writes about the NCSALL Lab School at Portland State's use of audio and video taping, and how looking together at a piece of tape gives folks a shared experience they can talk about.

Reuel emphasizes describing rather than judging what appears in a video of a classroom as an important first step. What have other folks' experiences been: if you have seen yourself or your students in a video, what process do you use when viewing it?

Barb Garner
Editor, Focus on Basics

That's a slightly different take on the discussion we've been having here: using classroom video together with a group.