National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 316] Re: Discussion: video as a prof. devlpmt tool.

e s e.b.shupe at lycos.com
Wed Jun 7 12:31:26 EDT 2006

Everyone,
I wanted to say a little more about the program that I am currently enrolled and the videotaping requirement. THis is an online certificate program in English Language Teaching at The New School in NYC. THe nature of distance learning requires the aid of technology to make the program work and the videotaping of classroom instruction is purposeful in this regard. The type of feedback I will get about the teaching and learning observations is unknown to me at this time, but I hope to have my own purpose in viewing the tapes. Jessica's article and comments from the discussion will help me to ask the right questions. I'll be sure to share my experience with the list.

On another note, it's disheartening to me to read David's post and to know that the practice of videotaping classroom dynamics has been around for so long and yet is still not common practice for adult educators. THe issues are at least in part about funding but also about the lack of connection that is experienced by many adult educators. We for the most part are a team of volunteers or part-timers with very little power in determining, what if any PD is offered to us. One of the continuing discussions about adult education is the way we are separate from other institutions of learning. This in many ways gives us creative license but in many significant ways is disempowering. What do others think?
Esther