National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 282] Re: Supporting out of school study

Jennifer Rafferty Jennifer.Rafferty at umb.edu
Mon May 15 11:41:31 EDT 2006

Hello,
In Massachusetts we are piloting a distance learning initiative with six
programs throughout the state. Visit our website at
www.anywhereanytimeabe.org . You will see in the section, "Meet the DL
Programs", that all of the programs are slightly different in program
design, population served, curriculum, and delivery of services.

Our initiative serves learners who are not able to attend regular classes.
Some of our dl programs have developed a strong relationship with the
classroom based program in their agency so that learners who stop out of a
regular class are able to transition into the distance learning program
immediately. This strong relationship entails not only making appropriate
referrals to the distance learning program, but also preparing the learner
for independent learning while they are still in the classroom. When time
management skills, computer literacy, goal setting,and study skills are a
part of both the classroom and dl curricula, the transition for learners
will go more smoothly and they are more likely to remain engaged. The key
is to develop that relationship between the classroom and the dl program
staff so that they can create a referral system and a curriculum that will
prepare the learner for self-directed study.

Jennifer Rafferty
DL Project Manager
The Adult Literacy Resource Institute