National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 254] Re: promoting awareness of NCSALL and FOB

Holly Dilatush-Guthrie Holly.Dilatush-Guthrie at ccs.k12.va.us
Thu Apr 20 08:48:50 EDT 2006

Responding to this post from from Maricel Santos: <<With FOB online, the series represents a rich library that a teacher could turn to for self-reflection. However there are still a lot of teachers out there (I meet them at TESOL conventions) who don't know about NCSALL or FOB. If FOB is facing the end of its publishing run, it seems strategic to think how NCSALL might use its remaining FOB funds to expand its outreach. >>

This may sound ridiculous, but I'll suggest it nonetheless * TESOL is a good place for outreach * and I for one would volunteer to wear a very noticeable and memorable hat and some sort of 'sandwich board' plastered with past issues and roam the halls handing out sample articles and/or issues and subscription requests * perhaps 'testimonials' from various professionals who have used these resources, sharing why/how/what has influenced them/their PD/their teaching, etc. * from both administrators and teachers points of view. I'm not sure this is allowed at TESOL unless one pays for a vendor's booth? It may sound far-fetched and 'tacky,' but I do believe that in a TESOL-type environment it could be effective. In 'prior lives' I've been seen cavorting as the Easter bunny, a Santa's elf, a homeless wretch from the streets, a cookie, and more * so this task would be an easy one for someone with my quirky personality! Maybe there are others who would be willing to join me? Or maybe this is just too silly of an image for quality publications? [I believe in sharing ideas, however bizarre, to spur others' thinking]

A more 'tried and true' way would be to put together a panel presentation * which means submitting * SOON * proposals. This, too, can be effective, but for a smaller number of people.

Personally speaking, connections and awarenesses gained from attending TESOL and other PD conferences have greatly influenced my life.

Holly

"No matter what our attempts to inform, it is our ability to inspire that will turn the tides."
Holly Dilatush
ESL distance learning, Dialogue Cafe, Volunteer coordinator
Charlottesville City Schools Adult Learning Center
1000 Preston Ave., Suite D
Charlottesville VA 22903
(434) 245.2815 office
(434) 960.7177 cell/mobile
http://theHsmile.org ['home' to several Moodle CMS (course management systems/virtual classrooms)]
http://www.Charlottesville-ESL.org
"Live with intention. Share inside~out smiles, inspire hope, seek awe and nurture in nature."