National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 250] Re: teacher education and change

Katrina Hinson khinson at future-gate.com
Fri Apr 14 17:17:57 EDT 2006

I think the biggest support that is missing is adequate funding. I recently attended an event in my state and was fortunate to be an instructor among several other administrators as well as other instructors. In our down time, I had the chance to talk with the two administrators. They were talking about how they'd love to send their teachers to what we ourselves were attending. I asked why they didn't. They said they didn't have the funds and they didn't have the means by and large to provide professional development on any regular basis. I thought that was sad and I counted myself blessed that the school I work for does budget for professional development. I was also disappoited that professional development isn't/wasn't considered something that should be necessary in EVERY budget. Unfortunately the way community college budgets are done sometimes means there is great disparity across the state and therefore great disparity in the opportunities available.

I agree that there is probably more that goes into the professional development question and the differences between the NCSALL findings and the FOB findings. I'm just not sure where we'd even begin to get people to appreciate and understand the great need there really is for providing professional development on a larger, consistent scale.

Regards
Katrina Hinson

>>> Janet_Isserlis at brown.edu 04/14/06 9:27 AM >>>

Katrina and all

I think motivation is likely an important factor, but we also need to be
mindful of systemic support for educators. What supports are/aren't
available to people who are working more than one part-time job? What are
the cultures of professional development in their various workplaces? Aside
from the intrinsic motivation to learn more, what messages to program
administrators, colleagues and funders convey to teachers about the value of
professional development?

I was really fortunate to have had an opportunity to begin my MA work after
I'd been teaching for 9 years (through a program that funded the courses so
that we only paid for books). It was a part-time masters program, over two
and a half years, designed for full-time teachers. I was already privileged
to be working full time; the degree program required a lot of work, but not
a lot of money. While grateful endlessly for the program - I was ready to
dig in and learn, and had the questions to ask that I might not have had in
my first year of teaching - I still think that we can't only ascribe
participation in PD to personal motivation. We also need to be proactive in
working to build opportunities for practitioners across the board - new,
continuing, veteran practitioners - or we risk what I've heard Barb describe
as "good programs getting gooder." It's great to build capacity in strong
programs - but it's also great to make capacity building available across
the board.

IF it is the case that personal motivation is the determining factor, then
we've all the more work to do to build a greater collective culture of
learning and respect for learning throughout the field.

Janet Isserlis