National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 242] Re: teacher education and change

Katrina Hinson khinson at future-gate.com
Thu Apr 13 19:30:31 EDT 2006

I think motivation is probably the driving force. I think the individual has to be willing to learn or be open to new ideas. I also think complacency is a bad thing and something people slide into sometimes unknowingly...they get comfortable with the way they've done something and think they don't have to change it or even fear the change and tensions usually associated with change.

Personally, I've waited for a while before pursuing an advanced degree and if all goes well I'll be starting my Masters in the fall. I've been teaching in Adult Ed for 10 years though. I think sometimes, that there is a feeling that having an advanced degree means you've "arrived" at some pre determined destination...or that you're now an expert able to impart knowledge but perhaps not gain it. I'm not really sure. I've encounted that behavior in the workplace and I think that's what's put me off for so long about going back to school. I don't ever want to feel I have nothing else to learn or gain via any form of education. I definitely feel that professional development is essential to staying effective in the classroom. I actually believe professional development is essential in ANY workplace.

I think I'd wonder how the NCSALL arrived at their conclusion compared to how FOB arrived at theirs. Was the pool of respondants the same in size as well as was the pool of respondants the same in terms of degrees etc.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to the individual person's drive and desire to grow professionally and personally.

Regards
Katrina Hinson

>>> Barbara Garner <b.garner4 at verizon.net> 04/13/06 4:52 PM >>>

Dear Listers...
Terry makes a good point...presumably most folks who completed the Focus on Basics evaluation survey read FOB because they are self motivated to do so (although we didn't ask that question). Whereas some participants in professional development are sent by their administrators because of the presumed suitability of the offering. Motivation makes a difference.

I'm not sure how the NCSALL Staff Development study treated motivation in their analysis. I'll ask them to share with us their views, if not this week then next.

What do other readers think might be reasons for the difference in findings between the FOB evaluation, in which "Respondents
with higher levels of education report a higher rate of change in their attitudes and behaviors about adult basic education
and a higher rate of putting into action ideas they learn as a result of reading Focus on Basics" and the NCSALL staff development study, which reported that 'teachers with master's degrees were less likely than those without to act upon information
learned in staff development activities.'?

Barb Garner