National Institute for Literacy

Re: RE: RE: [FocusOnBasics 215]  FOB Evaluation

Barbara Garner b.garner4 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 12 15:35:09 EDT 2006

>From its inception, Focus on Basics/NCSALL has worked in partnership with the states to distribute the publication. We send a pre-established number (based on federal allocation and what the states tell us they can absorb) to almost every state and the state distributes them as it sees fit (in total, 8,500 copies go to states and protectorates). Some states prefer to send their constituents to the web rather than pay for mailing. Some states mail their allocations out, some give them out at events, etc.

We sell subscriptions and also bulk subscriptions. Some community colleges, for example, buy a bulk number and distribute them to staff.
(We had hoped the subscription base would grow but it has remained pretty stable.)

We also provide "photocopiable masters" to those who want them and promise to distribute copies. THese aren't really needed now that we put the PDF up on the web.

Barb Garner
Editor, FOB