National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] Resources/Links from Robin's Discussion

Mary Jane Jerde mjjerdems at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 08:19:16 EST 2006

Thank you so much, Julie.

I'd compiled a part of this list.

Mary Jane Jerde

Julie McKinney <julie_mcKinney at worlded.org> wrote: Hi All,

Here is the compilation of links, book names, etc. from the discussion
on Struggling ESOL Learners with Robin Schwarz. (Let me know if you want
a formatted version, and I can send it as an attachment.)

Julie

Resources from Robin's Discussion:

Phonemic Awareness Resources

"How Now Brown Cow: Phoneme Awareness Activities for Collaborative
Classrooms"
by Patricia J. Edelen-Smith. Published in Intervention in School and
Clinic in 1997Vol 33 #2

Try googling "Phonemic Awareness"

Books and Workbooks

"Pronunciation Contrasts in English"
by D L. F. Nilsen and A. P. Nilsen. (recently reprinted)
(It is a book of all the minimal pairs in English-- and each
page includes a diagram of the mouth for each sound, plus a list of all
the languages for which that contrast is a a difficulty.)

"Listening Dictation"
by Joan Morley
It has lessons designed to help learners hear specific words and
structures in sentences and to pay attention to prepositions and other
small words that learners of English tend to miss. It addresses all
four skills, too, listening, speaking, writing and reading.

"Taking Action: A Handbook for Instructors of Adult ESOL Learners with
Learning Dissablities"
produced and distrbuted by the Minnesota Learning Disabilities
Association
www.ldaminnesota.org
This walks teachers through the topic of LD and an approach to
determining if other problems might be at the root of learning
difficulties.

"The Adult Reading Toolkit ( ART)"
A great handbook for tutors teaching reading to English-speaking adults.

"English Sounds and Spelling"
by McClelland, Hale and Beaudikofer
(no longer in print, but available on the internet.)
It is a very straightforward English (ESL) phonics books, but it has
many great line drawings of words ESL learners need to know that can be
cut up and used
for many kinds of practice. The actual phonics lessons are good, but
presume a certain level of other-language literacy, as most ESL phonics
books do.

Programs and Screenings

The Beery Test of Visual Motor Integration (VMI)
It involves copying geometric figures and is remarkably diagnostic for
problems of copying things accurately. You can probably get a version of
it by googling.

The Hull Screening
(Was available in MA, but is hard to get hold of.)
This has a version of the VMI, too.

www.irlen.com
A self test for visual linked stress syndrome, and forms for ordering
colored overlays. (But beware--when you open that site, it starts with
an example of what many people see!!!) .

ProLiteracy
Creates training programs for new tutors because literacy providers know
that
if tutors are untrained, learners cannot progress and will not persist.

Resources for information about languages, language structure, history,
culture, etc...

http://www.ethnologue.com/
http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/languageList.html

>from Dominique Brillanceau

CAELA: Center for Adult English Language Acquisition
http://www.cal.org/caela/

NCELA: National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition
http://www.ncela.gwu.edu/

The Office of Refugee Concerns

More resources from people other than Robin:

The following four are resources for pre-literate learners compiled
(with thanks) by Jean Marrapodi from discussion on ESOL list:

"The LaRue Literacy Skills Test"
Developed with a grant from the MN Dept of Education.
http://www.mcedservices.com/PDFs.html

>From Charles LaRue

"The Canadian Language Benchmarks: ESL for Literacy Learners"
Starts out at the Foundation Level with the assumption that learners
have
never even held a pencil.
http://www.language.ca/display_page.asp?page_id=255

>From Pauline Mcnaughton

"Making It Real": a guide to teaching adult pre-literate refugees.
From the Tacoma Community House Training Project in Tacoma, Washington
http://www.tchtrainingproject.com

>From Shash Woods

"Practitioner Toolkit: Working with Adult English Language Learners"

>From the National Center for Family Literacy along with the Center for

Applied Linguistics.
See section II, pages 57 -59 for info on phonological processing,
vocabulary knowledge, syntactic processing, and background knowledge.
See pages II- 60 -61 for pre-reading activities to use with pre-literate
and nonliterate English language learners.
http://www.cal.org/caela/tools/instructional/prac_toolkit.html

>From Marian Burt

http://eff.cls.utk.edu/assessment/read5.htm
A source of a standard for assessment.

>from Aaron Kohring:

www.dibels.com
An example of a "highly incorrect" nonsense word testing system.
Contains many incorrectly spelled nonsense words.

>from Don McCabe, who adds: If you would like assistance in a project

such as that, I would be glad to help. And when I offer help, I am not
asking for money. We are very nonprofit here at AVKO.
Don McCabe, Research Director
AVKO Educational Research Foundation
spelling.org

Assistance with vision testing:
Call your local Wal-mart and ask their VisionCenter what they have
available. I recently was sent to them for coupons for kids that cover
full exam, lenses and frames. They also suggested I call my local Lions
Club, as they also offer child and adult vision assistance.

>from Kathleen Morgan:

Jazz Chants (book and cassettes)
By Carolyn Graham

>from Sandy Fox and Robin