National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] seeing ESOL classes on videotape

Kathryn Harris harriska at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 3 15:27:56 EST 2006

Hi list members, this is Kathy, one of the authors in the recent FOB issue.
I'd like to pose a question to you all.

Here at the lab school we have a unique view of ESOL classrooms because we
have cameras that record classes-not just a few minutes of classrooms, but
every minute of every day. Jokingly, we call our video "reality classrooms"
like the reality shows on TV. Using the video we have a perspective that
isn't usually available to teachers and researchers.

We use the recordings to do our research on learning and teaching. We also
use the recordings to do professional development and to illustrate our
research, as in this FOB issue.

Please pick any clip that is part of the FOB issue. Then answer the
question, how does this video clip help me understand the research or help
me understand the students in my classroom?

Here is the link to the FOB issue. Each of the articles has a link to clips
in it. In encourage you to choose clips from the article that is most
relevant to your work context. http://www.ncsall.net/?id=986

Your answers will really help me make my work more accessible to others.

Thanks!
Kathy

Kathryn A. Harris

Portland State University

Dept. of Applied Linguistics and the Adult ESOL Lab School

P.O. Box 751

Portland, OR 97207

USA

phone: (503)725-8300