National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] a lament

Woods woodsnh at isp.com
Wed Feb 22 23:46:00 EST 2006

iris.broudy at SDH.state.ma.us wrote:

>I need to keep reminding

>myself about the realities of the student population and to lower my

>expectations.

It isn't so much about lowering your expectations. Rather, enter into
your relationship with a student with no expectations and appreciate
whatever outcomes may rise out of that relationship. The student will
begin to form his or her own expectations, which are OK.

In public K-12 education, it is a mantra taught to all beginning
teachers: you must have high expectations for your students and they
will rise to meet them. Research has been designed to show that this is
indeed the case. It is the paradigm in public education, and it is a
line of thinking that is fundamentally flawed, in my opinion. The
problems with expectations are that students usually only work to meet
the expectations and not go any further. They are the foundation for the
measurement of success and failure in schools. They create a system in
which students work (or not) to try to meet the expectations of their
teachers and not for the intrinsic benefits of learning for its own
sake. One very unfortunate outcome of this is the student's education
becomes directed others and not the by the student. It is
teacher-centered, not student-centered. When a student fails to meet the
teacher's expectations, it is said the student did not learn, which is
very clearly not the case. In extreme situations, failure to learn has a
name: learning disability. As I'm sure you've noticed in corrections
education, these are our guys. They come from a lifetime of failure to
meet teachers' expectations.

In a no-expectations paradigm, the teacher would not attempt to define a
set of learning objectives and decide whether they had been met.
Instead, the teacher would try to identify what learning did occur and
see how it fits with the school's overall curriculum. Immediately, there
is no such thing as failure in this system. There is only learning. It
progresses according to the student's expectations of him- or herself.
If a teacher can work in this setting, all learning is valued. There
would not be disappointment if it doesn't progress the way the teacher
would like it to. Oops. That would mean there is a teacher-expectation.

What I've found K-12 teachers look at me like I come from another planet
if I start talking to them about trying to not have expectations for
their students. The mindset of having high expectations is so ingrained,
so supported by research, and so much a part of our educational
tradition that it is extremely difficult to break out. Still there are
hints of it in the traditions of progressive education, of the
Summerhill School in England, and of the Sudbury Valley School in MA. I
also know from my own experience, it works. Kids who were completely
turned off by their past experiences get so pumped they will move
mountains to get their diplomas . It begins with doing away with teacher
expectations and allowing the student to begin to form them for him- or
herself.

I apologize for the long winded treatise, but expectations are a
hot-button item for me, as I'm sure you have guessed.

Tom