National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] Minimal Pairs

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 23:41:44 EST 2006

Mary-- there is very little that addresses these pre-literacy level
skills thorougly enough to rely on them alone. It will require much
expansion on your part to provide enough variety in working on the low
level skills to assure mastery. I like a book called English Sounds
and Spelling by McClelland, Hale and Beaudikofer, which is no longer in
print, but available, I am told, on the internet-- it is a very
straightforward English (ESL) phonics books, but it has many great line
drawings of words ESL learners need to know that can be cut up and used
for many kinds of practice. The actual phonics lessons are good, but
presume a certain level of other-language literacy, as most ESL phonics
books do. Robin

my address at AOL is robinschwarz1 at aol.com