National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] Fwd: writing and handwriting for low literate/non-literate learners

Carolyn Grimaldi cgrimaldi at lagcc.cuny.edu
Tue Feb 21 17:17:22 EST 2006

Hello all,
I'm not sure if my questions fall under the writing or the visual
problems categories or both, but here it is:

In my years of teaching to low-level ESOL adults, I have had many
students who I would call "weak writers" for lack of a better term,
often, these students have dropped out of school early, like 5th-8th
grades, but these are not non-literate students. They usually require
much more time to write and copy from the board, and many students have
the problem of copying incorrectly. We don't have any way of screening
for disabilities right now in our programs. My assumption was that
many students just were "out of practice", having spent many years out
of school both in their own countries and in the US, and essentially
their writing muscles are out of shape. Is this possible or should I
always suspect LD?

In addition, I am quite surprised at the large number of students, even
the ones who write faster, who copy things incorrectly off the board.
It's hard to know if this just comes from L1 interference.

If indeed it was possible to test students for the visual and learning
problems, how and where to refer our students? Unfortunately we don't
have nor do we know of "Special Education" for adult ESOL learners.

Coincidentally, I have begun to find out just how many students have
visual problems and trying to find them affordable care. Does anyone
have resources for this? So far we don't know of any.

Thanks for an interesting...and important discussion.

Carolyn Grimaldi
Center for Immigrant Education and Training
LaGuardia Community College
29-10 Thomson Ave. C250
Long Island City, NY 11101
(718) 482-5067