National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] Fwd: Three more thoughts on writing

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Sat Feb 18 18:45:00 EST 2006

John-- as I have pointed out on other lists, the company I work for
has data showing that in the population of adult learners identified as
having a high risk of some serious learning barrier (using a widely
known and used tool which is a list of 13 questions that were deemed
sensitive to indicating the presences of some learning barrier or
other) 50% had vision problems that were uncorrected --including the
convergence insufficiency--which we call binocularity difficulties, I
believe (a partly scientific term, I acknowledge). We have a tool to
screen for binocularity problems as well as for distance and near point
acuity.

More prominent however, is a problem your British colleagues call
visual linked stress syndrome (known here as scotopic sensitivity or
the Irlen syndrome.) My business partner just spent a week in January
consulting with four different researchers in Britain about their
findings and methods of identifying this and about its relationship to
what you call convergence insufficiency. In our data, 85% of the
learners, who were all dentified as struggling to learn (according to
that screening tool mentioned above), had this problem. It is helped
by use of colored overlays or colored lenses. The British researchers
have variously developed a diagnostic process on a computer or with
lights or another device to identify it and to measure the outcomes
that change with use of lenses and overlays. Two of them have
developed a rather efficient way for having adults choose lenses to
help those who are significantly affected -- more than just reading.
One of these researchers is one of the world's leading voices on
binocularity problems and contends that visual linked stress syndrome
may be the real reasons many of our learners appear to have
binocularity problems. In any case, there is mounting evidence that
this syndrome has very profound effects on the brain and all it
processes.

We continue to accrue more data on these learners and this problem-- it
is undeniable and profound for many. It does not affect only poor
readers. We continue to encounter persons who would be considered
unimpaired because they have graduated from college but who, in fact,
confess to being highly reading-aversive--they do not read unless they
absolutely have to because reading is so uncomfortable. Given
overlays, these persons, too, become avid and fluent readers. One
person we screened in NM reported two months later that though he had
literally gone from 2nd grade through college without ever reading a
book because his compensatory skills were so highly developed, he now
reads 3-5 books PER WEEK and adores reading. The stories of their
struggles in school are heart rending because no one believed them when
they said things moved on the page and reading gave them headaches and
other physical symptoms.

The easiest way to know that reading problems likely stem from
visual-related difficulties is if the person can actually decode single
words effectively --proivded font is large and not on white paper. If
they can do that, but cannot read text well or for longer than a few
minutes without beginning to make a lot of errors such as dropping
words or lines, losing their place easily, using a finger or pointer to
read, guessing words or leaving off parts of words , substituting
letters and words, and read very haltingly, then visual problems must
be very strongly suspected. Clearly they have mastered the
sound-symbol association process but cannot attain fluent reading.
As noted earlier, these people will almost always tell you that things
move if shown that in fact, they do NOT move. We recently screened a
36 year-old lady-- an 8th grade dropout who was diagnosed as having LD
in 2nd grade. She did NOT report that things moved--but when given an
overlay, looked up in surprise and said that the lines stopped
swirling-- she said she had never known that they were NOT supposed to
move. Her 9-year old daughter had identical symptoms and also
reported that words and lines stopped "sliding off the page" and
disappearing--she was already in remedial reading for her halting and
inaccurate reading, and like many others, when asked, reported that her
eyes watered and burned and that she got headaches from reading. With
her overlays (she chose two--one color over the other), she read
adult-level material fluently.

This puts an awful lot of conclusions about reading fluency outcomes
and other reading problems in question.......

Cheers back from Ohio-- Robin Schwarz

(