National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] Resources for phonological awareness, etc.??

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Thu Feb 16 21:34:55 EST 2006

Julie and all -- I think CAELA and especially NCELA have some good
resources on culture and languages. The Office of Refugee Concerns has
booklets on many cultures---tomorrow I will add some titles of books
that have helped me with this topic.

Phonological awareness may not be listed per se as a skill to practice,
but if one googles "phonemic awareness" there is a LOT there on
practicing the kinds of skills that build UP to phonemic awareness and
phonological memory. One artilce that really covers the whole topic
well and offers great suggestions for activities is

" How Now Brown Cow: Phoneme Awareness Activities for Collaborative
Classrooms" by Patricia J. Edelen-Smith. I found it on the web--iIt
was published in Intervention in School and Clinic in 1997Vol 33 #2

Robin