National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] Wondering about struggling writers

Aaron Kohring akohring at utk.edu
Wed Feb 15 15:17:41 EST 2006

Greetings all,

While reading Robin's article- "Taking a Closer Look at Struggling ESOL
Learners", I was struck by the discussion about Surer and issues around
pre-literacy skills. I took an ESL instructional course
a few years ago at the University of Tennessee where the topic of teacher
preparation for teaching handwriting was raised. And most of the articles
I found in looking into that topic indicated that many instructors did not
feel prepared to provide that type of instruction.

But what I also discovered in the process, was some suggestions and ideas
to guide instructors.
For example:
- Collect writing samples for analysis (level appropriate)
- Observe students as they write. What to look for: grip, posture, slant,
wrist stability, eye-hand coordination, hand dominance
- Plan for teaching interventions such as:
--Practice script: Lined/unlined paper, Letter formation- Direction,
Starting/ending point, Spacing, Size, Connections
-- Modeling
-- Integrated Approaches:
a) Practice handwriting within context- Use authentic materials, Practice
has a purpose such as letter to a friend or taking a phone message
b) Utilize other skills: Reading left to right, Write on board or vertical
surface, Use math, art, games, and other activities or manipulatives
c) Mix of explicit and integrated approaches

Yet the overall question this raised for me was- is there a connection
between the reluctance of some ESOL learners to write partly connected to
pre-literate skills such as handwriting in the English language??

Aaron

Aaron Kohring
Coordinator, LINCS Literacy & Learning Disabilities Special Collection
(http://ldlink.coe.utk.edu/)
Moderator, National Institute for Literacy's Content Standards Discussion
List (http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/Contentstandards)
Coordinator, Equipped for the Future Websites (http://eff.cls.utk.edu/)

Center for Literacy Studies, University of Tennessee
EFF Center for Training and Technical Assistance
Phone:(865) 974-4109 main
(865) 974-4258 direct
Fax: (865) 974-3857
e-mail: akohring at utk.edu