National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 491] Re: Low Self-Esteem: Myth or Reality? Some comments

Barbara Garner b.garner4 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 26 08:23:45 EDT 2006

This discussion is rich and fascinating.

I'm very taken with Anastasiya's research, particularly since her findings resonate with much of my classroom experience. Of course, it is only one study and certainly needs to be replicated with similar and different populations to see how robust the findings are.

In the meantime, I wonder how tied we are as teachers to the idea that our students have low self esteem. What role does that idea have in our views of ourselves as teachers?
Barb Garner
Editor, Focus on Basics