National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 338] reading outside of class

Alisa Belzer belzera at rci.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 13 21:31:58 EDT 2006

I found this study very interesting to work on. In some ways it raised
more questions than it answered. One thing I wonder about is how this
picture might all change for learners who have teachers who have found
concrete ways to encourage extensive practice outside of class, and who
have exposed their students both to lots of interesting texts and to
strategies for reading independently (e.g., how to pick reading materials,
what to do when stuck etc.). The learners in this study hadn't gotten
those kinds of supports and encouragements, but how does practice outside
of class look different when they have?

Also, I think this study raises interesting questions regarding how to help
adult learners make learning opportunities out of the day to day
interactions with text that most adults take part in to some extent,
regardless of reading level every day. In other words, even low level
readers have found ways to navigate their lives in our text bound
culture. Yet, these interactions don't necessarily help them improve their
reading, maybe because the have found ways to "manage" without really
actually reading very much. How can these day to day, adult interactions
with text that almost everyone has to deal with (signs, labels, etc.),
actually be turned into explicit opportunities to practice? Does it always
have to be book reading?

Alisa