National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 297] Re: Supporting out of school study

David Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Sun May 21 17:43:16 EDT 2006

Hello Katrina, Barbara and others,

Katrina, is myskillstutor the student log-in page for the online
computer-assisted instruction product, "Skills Tutor" ? I am not
familiar with "A+ Anywhere". Is this the A+ Anywhere Learning
System? [ http://www.amered.com/awl_products.php ] ? Can you tell us
how you use these products, and when you would use one rather than
the other? Can you also tell us what you have in mind for developing
your own online courses? And are you using Blackboard because it is
available to you or for some other reason?

Recently I have been trying to sort out "distance learning" from
"integrated learning". Here's the definition I am working from now.
I wonder if this is useful to you, Katrina, as from your description
you seem to be doing both? I also wonder if this distinction is
useful to you, Barbara? It should be useful to funders who may need
to decide what is/isn't distance learning.

Distance learning (DL) (whether pure, supported, or blended/hybrid)
has as its main characteristic that students do not come to a face-to-
face class or tutorial as their primary source of instruction. So
this would include correspondence courses, online learning, and TV
broadcast learning (often with accompanying print materials). It
might include a teacher (not primarily face-to-face in the same
physical place.) It might be available for people on waiting lists
for classes. And it might be a way to help students who are primarily
interested in self-study, with a little assistance from a Web site or
online or telephone tutor, counselor and/or mentor.

Integrated learning (which uses technology and some elements of DL)
is face-to-face classroom learning or tutorials with supplemental or
temporary uses of online or digital learning resources. This is a
way to supplement, enrich or extend learning for those who come to
class or tutorials, or to provide short-term solutions for those who
temporarily cannot attend class, so they do not have to drop out.
Face-to-face learning activities are integrated with online or
digital media learning activities used in the program, at home, or
elsewhere.

Students might access digital learning activities for either DL or
integrated models through the use of computers, dvd players, web-
accessed mobile phones or pdas, MP3 players, and whatever is next in
the evolving world of portable digital technology.

Of course, a DL student could become an Integrated learning student
or vice versa. And a self-study or waiting list learner might not
(or might) be enrolled as a student.

I have been working on a concept I call a Seamless System of Adult
Education and Literacy, particularly on the online component. I will
be glad to e-mail the current draft to those who may be interested.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net