National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 294] Re: Supporting out of school study

Michael Keith Pen Ultimate Rare Books archangels at att.net
Tue May 16 09:09:05 EDT 2006

Dear John

Thanks so much. I do have several questions I'd like to ask you. May I call you and perhaps set up an appointment? Michael archangels at att.net

-------------- Original message from "John Gordon" <jgordon at fortunesociety.org>: --------------

Michael,

I work for the Fortune Society and would be happy to provide you with any information I can about our work. Fortune works with several thousand ex-prisoners a year. We provide counseling, career development and job readiness, substance abuse treatment, HIV peer education, health and housing services for those former prisoners who are HIV positive. We run four alternative to incarceration programs and have a 59 bed transitional housing center in Harlem.

And of course we have an education program which serves over 400 people per year. We offer classes in small groups from basic literacy through pre-GED as well as ESOL. We have a very active computer lab, www.fortunesociety.org/education.

Many of the comments Tom made in his email are true for students here. I would mention, as well, that many of them are now back in environments which conspire against success. Many are homeless, and finding a job is very difficult for people coming out of prison, especially a job that will pay the rent here in New York City. Many lack strong family support systems. The lure of the streets and harassment from the police take their toll as well. Some are mandated here by the courts or pushed by their probation officer. Education is not always on the top of people's priority list.

Despite all that, this can be a very exciting place to work. Most people at Fortune are in a process of trying to make profound changes in their lives. There is a lot of transformation happening, and it's a privilege to be able to play a small part in that.

I'd be happy to discuss working with ex-prisoners further if people are interested. We have a lot of experience, but we certainly have a lot to learn as well.

John Gordon
The Fortune Society