National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 254] Re: teacher education and change

Julie McKinney julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Wed Apr 19 23:26:21 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

I'm passing on this message from Cris Smith. It is a response to last
week's discussion about the differing findings of the FOB survey, and
the NCSALL Staff Development Study, in terms of teacher education level
and chances of incorporating ideas learned in PD.

Julie

Cris here. I directed the NCSALL professional development study, where
we
found that teachers with a bachelor's degree or less made fewer changes
in
thinking and acting after participating in professional development,
which
is different from the FOB evaluation, which found that those with
master's
degrees or above who responded to the Focus on Basics survey reported
making
more change in their classrooms or programs after reading Focus on
Basics.

I think one reason for the difference, in addition to the ones people
have
mentioned previously, might be the difference in the samples: in our
professional development study, almost 100% of those participating were
primarily teachers. In the Focus on Basics survey, only 33% identified
themselves primarily as teachers (although in both samples we had
administrators who did some teaching, and some teachers who did some
administrating).

One hypothesis for the differences between these two studies and the
amount
of change related to level of education might be that, according to what
we
found in the professional development study, administrators and others
have
more power to make change than do teachers, even at the classroom level.
So
it could be that with the higher proportion of administrators and
non-teachers in the FOB sample, many of whom have post-graduate degrees,
they may be reporting more change because they are in a position to make
more change, whereas the PD study sample, which was mostly teachers and
where only half had masters' or above, were not in a position to make as
much change as a result of what they had learned. Anyway, that's one
hypothesis.

It could also be a motivational issue. It requires individual
initiative to
read Focus on Basics, and probably many people read articles on those
topics
about which they have the strongest motivation or recognize the issue as
problem in their work that needs solving. Whereas, some proportion of
teachers who attend professional development (we found) are there for
reasons other than an interest in the topic or just a strong motivation
learn: they may have been asked (or told) by their program
administrator to
attend the PD; it was on a free night or convenient to get to; someone
else
from their program was also attending so they went along; or they were
interested in our PD because it was part of a research project or they
liked
the idea of trying a different model of PD (practitioner research or
mentor
teacher group) that they hadn't tried before, but either weren't
interested
in the topic of the PD (learner persistence) or didn't recognize it as a
problem in their program or class. All of these things, regardless of
education level, may affect what people learn and do after attending the
PD.
However, I still believe that the idea that more experienced, more
"degreed"
practitioners and administrators CAN become "settled" and not feel as if
they need to make changes in what they do. If they are already doing a
good
job, they might be right, but in both the PD study and the FOB
evaluation,
we didn't look at teaching quality (as evidenced by student achievement)
so
we don't know if that's the case. They could be "settled" teachers who
are
either very effective or not very effective at all. But that's another
study. Best...Cris

Cristine Smith
Deputy Director, NCSALL
World Education
44 Farnsworth Street
Boston, MA 02210-1211
csmith at worlded.org
(617) 482-9485 T,W
(413) 256-6258 M, Th, F

Julie McKinney
Discussion List Moderator
World Education/NCSALL
jmckinney at worlded.org

>>> Barbara Garner <b.garner4 at verizon.net> 04/14/06 12:32 PM >>>

Wow, lots of ideas and information here.

First, regarding the differing findings of the two studies (the FOB
survey, and the NCSALL Staff Development Study, a lengthy research
projects)in one, those with less education were more likely to
incorporate ideas learned in professional development. In the other,
those with more education were likely to do the incorporating...
But perhaps the good news is that both groups, under certain conditions,
put professional development to use.

The issue that Janet writes about, of the conditions conducive to
engagement in professional development, are much the same issues we
think about when pondering how to enroll and engage ABE learners. The
need, the motivation, are important, but so are elements such as
availability, cost (free), accessibility, child care if needed, etc. And
a climate conducive to learning. I can't agree more that all the pieces
have to be in place.

Has anyone experienced a considerable change in their program, toward a
climate more conducive to learning? And when I write "climate" I'm
thinking about both atmosphere and also particulars: paid release time,
substitutes available, support for trying new things, etc. What caused
the change? What can we learn from your experiences? How about change, I
hate to say it, in the opposite direction? What stifles professional
learning?

And continuing outreach, particularly to folks who don't know of FOB and
NCSALL as a resource, is a valuable reminder. Any suggestions of
concrete things NCSALL should be doing to bring itself and FOB to
teachers' attention?

Barb