National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 403] Re: individualized workbook approach

khinson71 at cox.net khinson71 at cox.net
Tue Jul 11 13:22:16 EDT 2006

I asked this question earlier - why are these standards so much better than anything else? Adopting standards won't necessarily change HOW teachers teach/don't teach in their classrooms. I think Esther made a good point. An adult learner brings their past learning experiences to the adult classroom with them and one of the things we as instructors need to do is establish/discuss with the students what worked for them before vs what didn't work. To talk about where they are now as learners outside the class - what works and what doesn't. Sometimes, the adult education instructor has no background and little knowledge or understanding of the differences between pedagogy and andragogy when it comes to the adult classroom; they may not know anything about learning style differences or how to implement activities that address multiple learning styles.

I just don't think the implementation of content standards like EFF is the only answer / way to address the problem of workbook only type instruction and its pitfalls and/or successes.

Regards,
Katrina Hinson