National Institute for Literacy

Re: [FocusOnBasics 229]  teacher education and change

Barbara Garner b.garner4 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 13 11:19:13 EDT 2006

That's a great question, and one that merits more research. I'll weigh in, but would love to hear from others, too.

Keep in mind, the FOB evaluation was not an effort to replicate the findings of NCSALL Staff Development Study. The NCSALL Staff Development study involved practitioners in a variety of different types of professional development. But those types did not include "reading professional journals and perhaps discussing them with colleagues". So what we might be seeing is that different types of practitioners relate differently to difference types of professional development.

In terms of what lesson it offers professional developers now: to me it says that if you don't already include reading materials with any professional development activity you conduct, you should consider adding some.

Barb Garner