National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] Has U.S. Literacy increased, declined or stayed the same?

Kutner, Mark MKutner at air.org
Thu Dec 22 16:12:17 EST 2005

Hi there David,

Your provide a lot of interesting and intriguing comments in your email
below. At the end of your email, however, you ask the question which I
believe is what you would like me to answer:

"Mark, has the general level of literacy in the U.S. from 1992 - 2003
declined, increased or stayed the same?"

Our report shows that the general level of literacy has remained the
same on the prose and document scales, and has increased on the
quantitative scale. NAAL is able to detail literacy levels, but not
literacy requirements, which I believe is the point of the earlier part
of your email.

NAAL, as in most comprehensive studies, provides really good news and
news that is not so good. There has been a statistically significant
increase in the scores of Black adults over the past decade on all three
scales. Data cannot provide causal inferences about why the literacy of
Black adults has increased, but additional NAAL analyses will be looking
at possible reasons, including increased educational opporutnities.

The decline in scores for adults whose first language is Spanish is of
course very disturbing. Additional analyses that we hope to conduct
will explore in greater depth the why this decline might be taking
place. In addition to increased immigration, the 2003 NAAL also
provides what we believe is more accurate data about the literacy of
Spanish speaking adults. As detailed on page 18 of the report, the NAAL
allowed Spanish speaking adults to read and answer the easy literacy
tasks at the beginning of the assessment in Spanish (although the
materials from which they needed to find the answer was in English). It
seems that fewer adults were excluded from the assessment than were in
1992. Our next report will provide more in-depth information about these
adults through the Adult Literacy Supplmental Assessment, as well as a
fluency assessment.

Quantitative literacy scores have increased over the past decade, and I
find this quite promising given the computer age we live in. As we
write on page 18 of the report, respondents in 2003 were allowed to use
calculators unlike in 1992 so that the assessment better reflects the
demands of every day life. The fact that quantitative scores increased
may mean that adults in this country are becoming familiar with the
technical tools that they will need to succeed I the coming years. Yes
I certainly am aware that calculators are not computers, and that there
is a digital divide in the country; the next NAAL report will provide
more detail about computer use and literacy levels.

Pardon me if I have gone off on a tangent and not completely addressed
your question. I am very excited about the information that is
available in NAAL, as well as the additional data that will be available
through future reports. Please let me know if I can provide any
additional clarifications.

Regards,

Mark