Chief of Staff--Matthew Heyman
Deputy Chief of Staff--Kevin Kimball
The Chief of Staff provides support to the NIST Director in administering the policies, programs, and operations of the Institute. Assists the Director in increasing external awareness, appreciation of, support for, and use of the Institutes research and services. Facilitates top-level decision-making and improved internal communications. Coordinates actions required of the Institute as a result of executive policy decisions and actions and serves as the Directors representative with the Department and other Federal agencies with broad authority to commit the Institute to specific courses of action. Provides managerial oversight and support for congressional and legislative affairs, legal services, strategic planning, program and policy analysis, strategic partnering, and evaluation services; as well as all public and business affairs matters.
- OFFICE OF CONGRESSIONAL AND LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS: Under the guidance of the Departmental Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Affairs, coordinates and advises on all NIST activities regarding the Congress; maintains liaison between NIST and the Congressional Committees having authorizing and oversight jurisdiction over NIST; serves as the focal point for handling all Congressional correspondence and inquiries for the exchange of information with the Congress; advises on the development of legislation required by NIST; and provides NIST management with information on pending legislation, newly introduced legislation, and Congressional activities of interest to or affecting NIST.
- PROGRAM OFFICE: Performs the functions of policy development, program analysis, and program development; sponsors, coordinates, and participates in issue studies; prepares NIST-wide information packages; develops analytical techniques for and coordinates the review of NIST technical and overhead programs; generates strategies, guidelines, and formats for NIST planning; performs long-range program planning functions; plans and performs strategic partnering activities; maintains user liaison mechanisms; analyzes external trends, opportunities, and user needs as they relate to program priorities; provides economic benefit analyses; articulates and documents NIST-level program plans and status for internal and external use; and defines alternatives for resource allocation and advises NIST management on their implications.
- PUBLIC AND BUSINESS AFFAIRS OFFICE: Serves as the focal point of NISTs communication with the public, news media and key business and government audiences by means of (1) media liaison; (2) general publication and web sites; (3) outreach and response efforts with trade, professional and business organizations, state and local government agencies; and the general public; (4) conferences; (5) special events; (6) speeches; and (7) exhibits and audiovisual services. Provides advice and assistance to NIST managers and DoC officials on the public affairs, business, and community relations impact and ramifications of policy and program decisions; coordinates handling and dissemination of sensitive and emergency information to the public; advises NIST officials and provides special services to support NIST-led National Safety Construction Act investigations including liaison with victims families and serves as liaison to the Commerce Department in coordinating public affairs matters.
- Communications and Inquiries Group
- Media Liaison Group
- Special Activities Group
- Business Outreach Group
- COMMERCE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM (ComSci): Managed by NIST, ComSci provides competitively selected, career, senior-level employees of the Executive Branch with an opportunity to study national and international issues relating to the development, application, and management of science and technology policy. It is a government-wide program established in 1964 and later legislated by Congress as part of the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988.
Page created: 04/20/05
Last updated: 08/28/08
Contact: Director's Office Webmaster