National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 545] Re: Counselors/counseling services

Brown, Charlene Charlene.Brown at Jefferson.kyschools.us
Mon Oct 30 15:22:45 EST 2006

In Kentucky, we do not have access to actual counselors. Each program
may choose to spend funding to hire one, but to may knowledge, and I am
fairly active in the state, no program has been able to afford one. In
Kentucky, we have what the state calls sole providers of literacy and
ABE/GED services.

-----Original Message-----
From: focusonbasics-bounces at nifl.gov
[mailto:focusonbasics-bounces at nifl.gov] On Behalf Of Dee George
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 12:47 PM
To: The Focus on Basics Discussion List
Subject: [FocusOnBasics 542] Re: Counselors/counseling services

In many states, ABE and Literacy Programs are 2 different programs. As
far as I know, Literacy Councils don not require or have

a counselor on staff. Many are lucky just to be able to afford one or
two employees. ABE Programs, on the hand, under the state

Dept. or Education, usually have a counselor available through the local
post-secondary vocational school.

Deidra (Dee) M. George, Director
Tri-State Literacy Council
455 9th St. Plaza