National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 541] Counselors/counseling services

Kaye Beall kabeall at comcast.net
Sat Oct 28 19:16:27 EDT 2006

Can anyone help with these questions? As NCSALL's Outreach Coordinator, I
recently received this message. Do you know of any states that fund
counselors?

Thanks, Kaye

************

Hi Kaye,

I was hoping you could help me out. Presently, I am a Doctoral candidate
trying to formulate my proposal. My topic is Counselor/counseling within
Adult Basic Education. I am having the most difficult time coming up with
national information.

Could you either post my questions on your list serve or call me if you know
who I could speak to about this subject.

My questions are:

What states require a counselor on staff within their literacy programs?

Is the role of Adult Basic Educational counselor defined state-by-state or
is there a generic counselor role definition?

Is there a national organization that speaks to the role of counselor (as
advisor) within literacy programs (not post-secondary)

Thank you for your support

Michele Forlizzi

Kaye Beall

Outreach Coordinator/NCSALL Dissemination Project

World Education

4401 S. Madison St.

Muncie, IN 47302

Tel: 765-717-3942