National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 511] Re: Instructional practices leading to success

Bonnita Solberg bdsunmt at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 28 02:53:20 EDT 2006

In our Adult Ed department, administration is focusing
on excellence in assessment in the formal teacher
evaluation process this year. The main thrust of this
focus is to establish clear learning goals that begin
with needs and skill level assessment. It is expected
that the instructor will use a variety of assessments
embedded in the instruinal process through backward
planning. Assessments are aligned to curriculum and
standards and guide lesson planning. Instructors use
not only formal testing measures, but also student
constructed assessments, when appropriate, and an
informal, routine check for understanding during the
lesson presentation. Students know how and when they
will be assessed; teachers give timely, accurate and
constructive feedback to students while providing time
for students to reflect. Students track their own
progress and look forward to assessments, thereby
taking ownership of their progress and goals.

This is a huge undertaking for both adminsitration and
staff. To my way of thinking, assessment should
inform instruction as well as informing the student of
his/her progress. Clear learning goals that are
communicated to the students and revisited frequently
during the course of instruction is key to student and
teacher success.

--- "Anastasiya A. Lipnevich" <ana at optimaltec.com>