National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 389] [Focusing 382] Re: norms

Melissa Monti melissa_monti at iu13.org
Fri Jun 30 09:01:16 EDT 2006

Reply to: [Focusing 382] Re: norms
Working with mandated students in GED class as well as previously in drug and alcohol rehab I have been interested in this dilemma for some time. Research on motivation has shown that the issue of voluntary vs. involuntary "particpation" matters less than what happens once a student is IN the placement situation (classroom or therapeutic envrinoment, for example). The turn around is internal but it can be self-motivated or due to external pressure. The critical key is what happens to engage the student once they are a "captive audience". Not that this is easy by any means....

Forgive me for not citing specific research. I will try to do some homework to back this up. MM

Melissa Monti, Ed.M.
Professional Development Coordinator
IU-13/SEPDC
Instructional Services Dept.