National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 387] Re: individualized workbook approach

Hal Beder hbeder at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri Jun 30 08:18:06 EDT 2006

Very good question. In one of the classes we studied the teacher
emphasized getting the right answers on the worksheets and assumed
that if students did get the right answers, they had mastered the
material. Understanding that getting the right answer was the name
of the game, the learners developed strategies to increase their
chances of getting the right answer that sometimes subverted the
purpose of the exercise. So in respect to this class, you may have
identified a problem. Yet in other classes, teachers orally quizzed
learners while correcting their work to diagnose whether they really
did understand and then helped them if they did not. I do think it
is possible for learners to get correct answers on some workbook
exercises without really understanding what the exercise is designed
to teach. For that reason, the diagnosis step is quite important.