National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 364] Re: Response to Andres Muro and FOB article onself-esteem

Barbara Garner b.garner4 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 20 21:40:51 EDT 2006

I urge everyone to read this article. I was a bit confused at Andres' posts. The research Ana reports on was prompted by her observations that a number of writers had described adult basic education learners as having low self esteem, but the writers provided no empirical evidence for these judgements. So she sought out empirical evidence. Finding none, she constructed a study to do so.

She found that the learners she surveyed had self esteem similar to that of doctoral students: and it wasn't "low" at all. She suggests that those who work with adult basic education students reevaluate any preconceived notions they may have about their students.

One can certainly argue about the validity of studies that try to measure self esteem, but I think the point that Ana's work makes, that we all meet our learners with open minds rather than pre-conceived notions, is a good one.

Barb Garner
Editor, Focus on Basics
Boston
b.garner4 at verizon.net