National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 324] Re: Discussion: video as a prof. devlpmt tool.

Jessica Tomkins jessicatomkins at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 11:07:23 EDT 2006

Hi-
I'm thinking- in response to Esther & Dominique's comments on the
disconnectedness of adult educators- tt this is an issue within schools as
well as across the field that can be addressed by using video. One of the
teachers I interviewed pointed out that two willing teachers could easily
video each other and then sit around and discuss their classes - that this
is essentially free and effective for improving one's teaching (in his
experience). I think in k-12 schools it is often a mentor & novice teacher
who pair up to do this, but is seems like it would work the best with peers.
I heard a lot from the teachers I interviewed about the importance to them
of not being judged or evaluated - of course they meant by researchers, but
I suspect the lack of evaluation left them as open as they were to seeing
their classrooms from a new perspective. I guess I'm thinking about two
things - first of all video as a way of connecting p/t teachers (perhaps)
who wouldn't have a chance to cross paths or really work together. what do
you think? also, how important is the type of discussion and the level of
judgement? is it better to focus on students, is it better to really analyze
one's own teaching directly, or does self-conciousness then get in the way
and ruin the process? i know there are probably many different answers to
this question, but while we're rolling with this as a pd tool, i'm wondering
if there is a generally good way to use it - guidelines, perhaps, based on
everyone's experiences...
jessica