National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 317] Re: Discussion starts today: Video as aProfessional Development Tool

Janet Isserlis Janet_Isserlis at brown.edu
Wed Jun 7 13:45:27 EDT 2006

All

Apologies for the delayed response - have been out of town.

We decided to tape as part of a three-year demonstration project (of sorts)
designed to assist ESOL teachers in integrating literacy into 'regular' ESOL
classes - as opposed to a pull-out model, which generally consisted of
having volunteers work on literacy with ESOL students one-on-one during
class time (and out of the classroom).

We were trying to find ways to incorporate strategies addressing literacy
for learners with roughly equivalent abilities with aural/oral language.
Part of that work including demonstration classes at the site, and part of
our documentation, initially, was through both written accounts and video
recording. Once we began reviewing the tapes, we also saw their great
potential as professional development tools - both for those who are being
taped, as well as for others. I've used the tapes (years later) with
university students who are working in literacy programs) as a means of
asking them to watch the tape, share observations, reflections and respond
to some guided questions about the teaching and learning they see.

Janet