National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 283] Re: Supporting out of school study

Holly Dilatush-Guthrie Holly.Dilatush-Guthrie at ccs.k12.va.us
Mon May 15 11:53:59 EDT 2006

Yes * Charlottesville City Schools (Charlottesville VA) has been piloting a very successful ESL at Home program since October 2005, via an EL/Civics grant. Although not yet cost-effective, student success has been great!

We've modeled our program similar to one used by North Carolina (LEAD program) and are using Crossroads Cafe video series as our curriculum. We have had our first two 'graduates' this month (finishing all 26 episodes, worktexts, and a review test after each episode)!
We've had several learners show reportable gains, many many many anecdotal success stories.

We have an optional virtual classroom on the internet, http://theHsmile.org (then ESL at Home with Crossroads Cafe] using MOODLE. http://www.moodle.org) as our Course Management System (CMS).

Enrollment for this class is ongoing (the only ongoing open enrollment course in our Adult Learning Center's program); we began with 6 students in October, have had a total of 46 to date, with approx. 30% dropping out before sufficient hours completed to 'officially count' them. 31 of the 46 who have registered into our pilot group so far have registered on our virtual website, over 20 are active on the site. The virtual classroom has many supplemental activities: discussion forums, resources, quizzes, assignments, a chat function, more!

I'm happy to share more details (off the discussion list) for anyone interested.
Holly

"No matter what our attempts to inform, it is our ability to inspire that will turn the tides."
Holly Dilatush
ESL distance learning, Dialogue Cafe, Volunteer coordinator
Charlottesville City Schools Adult Learning Center
1000 Preston Ave., Suite D
Charlottesville VA 22903
(434) 245.2815 office
(434) 960.7177 cell/mobile
http://theHsmile.org ['home' to several Moodle CMS (course management systems/virtual classrooms)]
http://www.Charlottesville-ESL.org
"Live with intention. Share inside~out smiles, inspire hope, seek awe and nurture in nature."

>>> julie_mcKinney at worlded.org 05/12/06 12:25 PM >>>

Does anyone else out there do any kind of distance education or have
methods to keep students studying when have to drop class for a while?
Part of the NCSALL research Barb mentioned suggests that most students,
over the course of several years, are forced to move in and out of class
programs, due to changing life circumstances. This means that programs
will need to move toward offering support for students to keep learning
during their out-of-class phases. So it is interesting to hear about
Katrina's program and others that are working towards that.