National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 279] Re: Supporting out of school study

Woods woodsnh at isp.com
Fri May 12 23:34:21 EDT 2006

Hi Barb,
Our students sometimes return from prison to towns where they do not
have easy access to our community campuses . In one such case, I had a
student who needed just two more credits to graduate, but he was moving
out of state. I provided him with assignments to complete and return to
me by mail, sort of a correspondence course, I guess. The outcome was
not what I hoped for. He called me once, but never did any of the
assignments.

We have found that our students often do very well in school when they
are incarcerated, but many forces conspire to make continued schooling
difficult after they get out. In prison, their basic needs are met,
meals, health care, warmth, bed, clothing, etc. On their own back in the
community, they have to work hard to provide these things for
themselves. Other issues such as family, social, job, transportation and
other responsibilities required of them by their probation office (e.g.
substance abuse counseling, restitution, etc.) interfere with their
ability to attend classes and progress stops. We have not yet found a
good solution for these folks.

A few of us have been thinking about putting some sort of online
distance learning program on our school web site, but this is only in
the dream stage right now.

Tom Woods
Community High School of Vermont

Barbara Garner wrote:

Has anyone's program taken this into account and put into place supports for students who want to continue to study on their own when not actively participating in a program?