National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] health, stress and learning struggles

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 23:35:37 EST 2006

Yes, that is one of the challenges of working with adults with such
stressful lives-- but while these issues are difficult, I believe it is
important that we continue to have expectations that learners WILL
accomplish something and not just use the class for group therapy.
It may just be a page or an activity or participating in a
conversation, but the expectation is that they will do something.

and I want to note that in my messages I stress persistence as opposed
to retention-- retention smacks of us hanging on to them, while
persistence, the term used by NCSALL, indicates that the learner has
chosen to persist. Rlobin