National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] teacher professional development

Cheek, Sandy sandyc at bigbend.edu
Mon Feb 20 12:59:03 EST 2006

HI all,
Some thoughts to add to Robin's:
It's true that better training for teachers and tutors will result in
more and better student outcomes. That's kind of an inarguable point.
However: that is also assuming that there is a plethora of teachers and
tutors out there, and we have the luxury of being highly selective when
it comes to choosing volunteer tutors and teachers. That's simply not
the reality. Oftentimes the opposite is true: we have to accept those
who are willing to learn but inexperienced, and do the best we can to
inspire and train them.
Teaching has never been a field that attracts a huge number of people.
There are realities around pay, job security, and benefits that have had
the effect of reducing the numbers of people interested in this
profession. I consider myself lucky when I get someone in my office who
expresses an interest in teaching for me on a part-time basis, who may
have limited teaching experience, but has a sincere desire to "give
back" to their community.
So the question really is: Should we aspire to fewer, but better
trained teachers and tutors (which would be the reality if we became
more stringent in our selection criteria)? I know that if I were to
require additional training and certification for tutors and teachers, I
would lose a significant number of my teachers. And know that these are
GOOD teachers, but most of them work full-time during the day, or are
stay-at-home moms, and work for me in the evenings teaching part-time,
and they don't have much spare time beyond those commitments.
I don't have the answers, but it's important to balance our idealism
with the realities of the profession when considering future directions.
Sandy Cheek
Sandy Cheek
Director of Basic Skills
Big Bend Community College