National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] Fwd: LD in ESL

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Wed Feb 15 22:52:26 EST 2006

As I indicated in my opening message, distinguishing LD in ESOL
learners has been my focus and specialty since about 1985--the more I
learn about this, the less I know. What I know at this point, as my
article was intended to illustrate, is that there are many other
legitimate issues that impede learning progress in adult ESOL learners
( and younger ones, too, for that matter.) These issues are given short
shrift by inexperienced or unaware ESOL teachers and other teachers who
do not know about second language acquisition, low literacy
implications, cultural differences and their impact, etc.

Where once I felt that LD issues were rather common among ESOL
learners, I now think they are no more common than they REALLY are in
adult learners in this country-- though there is now a strong belief
that the incidence is high, my experience and recent work has led me to
believe there are many other issues causing difficulties for adult
learners: vision, visual stress syndrome ( difficulty with light
sensitivity and looking at black print on white paper), hearing,
health, attention problems, etc.

In the ESOL learners, what emerged as signficant barriers to learning
were weaknesses in core phonological skills, as mentioned in an earlier
post, and problems with actual discrimination of sounds in English. It
is perfectly normal for the adult brain to have more difficulty
perceiving sounds of a new language accurately--and those who are
monolingual may have even more difficulty than those who are already
multilingual ( though I do not wholly agree with the contention of some
in linguistics that speaking multiple languages automatically precludes
difficulty in hearing a new language accurately--again, I have ample
anecdotal evidence to know that, like any other generalization, is not
true--though may be true more often than not)

When I have put heavy emphasis in my teaching on the drilling of
hearing fine differences in sounds -- minimal pairs such as bit/bet or
sheep/cheap or feet/ Pete--- or tap/tab -- I find that my students'
aural comprehension soars and then their ablitiy to hear and remember
the language accurately also soars--and then reading comes along much
better, too.

I use a book called Pronunciation Contrasts in English, by D L. F.
Nilsen and A. P. Nilsen. To my knowledge, it has been recently
reprinted-- it is a book of all the minimal pairs in English-- and each
page includes a diagram of the mouth for each sound, plus a list of all
the languages for which that contrast is a a difficulty. I cannot
recommend it enough. If you contact me off-list, I can forward my
handout on drilling these pairs.--thge book does not have drills per
se.

As for phonological skills, as mentioned in that earlier post, I find
it is essential that core phonological awareness be strong before
literacy is attempted. I cannot recommend enough screening this skill (
can the learner hear rhymes ( once the concept is explained) ?) Can the
learner count the number of words in a sentence s/he hears? If these
skills are weak, they must be addressed. People with true dyslexia have
great difficulty hearing and producing rhyme and have been repeatedly
shown in studies to have significant weaknesses in phonological
awareness in general. This skill PRECEDES phonemic awareness--which in
English comes later, as literacy begins to develop.  Just bear in mind
the progression of skills that children go through before they begin to
read. Children are not aware of single sounds in words until they are
first aware of the larger chunks of language. ( And don't forget that
many language on the planet are NOT alphabetic, and therefore do not
have phonemes per se. If your learner's language is like this, then the
very concept of phonemes and letter sounds has to be approached quite
differently than it would be for a learner from an alphabetic language.

Phonological MEMORY supports the learning of new vocabulary and
language strings-- idioms and syntax, etc. If your learner cannot
repeat a sentence of more than 3 or four words completely accurately,
this skill should be targeted through activities in counting words in
sentences and saying them accurately-- gradually increasing the length
of sentences repeated, etc. I am constantly challenged in this by
people saying that if you know the language you can repeat the
sentences. But actually, a person with good phonological memory can do
this relatively easily without any idea of what s/he is saying. This
skill is tested in the native language by using nonsense words (see a
test like the C-TOPP --Comrpehensive TEst of Phonological Processing
Skills) for example. ) It is irrelevant to test nonsense words for ESOL
learners, since a foreign language is ipso facto nonsense words until
one learns a lot of vocabulary. Just try it with low frequency words--
words we rarely use in conversation.

This skill can be so weak as to constitute a learning
disability--though it is not classified as such. Phonological awareness
weaknesses, on the other hand, are known to be at the heart of
dyslexia--and so ARE LD-- except that we need to have attempted to
strengthen awareness in a new language before deciding that it is a
disability---. It is possible to determine in first language that there
is a reading disability, but it requires having the correct tools to do
it-tests of reading nonsense words in that language and other tasks
that test core phonological awareness and speed of decoding. The usual
tools for diagnosing LD in English do not work with non-native English
speakers, except those tests of phonological awareness, and then we
have to be careful that the tests are not weighted to English speakers.

This is getting long-- sorry for so much information-- I guess this
will overload a lot of people. But since these are the core skills
needed for language learning and reading, it seems awfully important
that teachers know about them and understand what challenges are likely
plaguing their adult learners who are stuck.

More tomorrow on reasons why those readers may plateau at 3rd or 4th
grade. Robin