National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] Welcome to our discussion with Robin Schwarz!

janeaddeo at comcast.net janeaddeo at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 19:50:19 EST 2006

Hugo,

1. Illiteracy vs. LD
I teach Beg. ESL to recently arrived, mostly illiterate Latino students. In my experience the lack of literacy emerges quite early- at the introduction of the alphabet and spelling of names or noticing a student has difficulty holding a pen or pencil.

Recognition of LD or handicaps tends to take longer. At times another student has informed me of a classmate's difficulty.
Students seem more willing to admit illiteracy than LD/ handicap. It is often a problem to locate needed services for students because of their lack of insurance or legal status.

2. Given the time and the resources to teach literacy skills in the student's native language is sound practice. Literacy in the first language facilitates literacy in the second.

From: "Hugo Galindo" <hgalindo at carlosrosario.org>