National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] Discussion of State Professional Development Systems

Julie McKinney julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Mon Jan 23 21:58:47 EST 2006

Hi All,
Here's a message I'm passing on from Jackie Taylor, moderator of the Professional Development Discussion List. I'd recommend checking this out...the folks I know on the guest list have a lot to offer!
-Julie

Colleagues:
The Adult Literacy Professional Development Discussion List is hosting a
disscussion of "State Professional Development Systems," featuring
professional development offered both regionally in New England and in the
following states: California, Florida, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York,
Ohio, and Rhode Island. Colleagues from all states are invited to participate
and share their work or experiences with state PD! To participate, subscribe
by visiting: http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/Professionaldevelopment

See below for the list of guests participating. I hope you will be able to
join us! Jackie Taylor, Adult Literacy Professional Development List
Moderator, jataylor at utk.edu

General Overview:

Join our guests to discuss a broad range of topics on how state professional
development (PD) systems work, including (but not limited to): funding,
leadership, structure, provision of PD, policy, state initiatives, assessment
and evaluation, continuous improvement, and other related issues.

The discussion is open to anyone who would like to share their work or
experiences with state PD. Guests from the following seven states and one
region will be joining us in discussion and participating on behalf of their
professional development entities/organizations:
GUESTS

New England
Silja Kallenbach, Coordinator, New England Literacy Resource Center
(NELRC)/World Education

California
Mary Ann Corley, Ph.D., Principal Research Analyst and California Adult
Literacy Professional Development Project (CALPRO) Director, American
Institutes for Research

Erik Jacobson, Research Analyst, American Institutes for Research/CALPRO

Wendi Maxwell, Education Programs Consultant, California Department of
Education

Florida
Teresa G. Bestor, State Director of Adult Education and Compliance Monitoring,
Division of Community Colleges and Workforce Education, Florida Department of
Education

Debra Hargrove, Coordinator, Florida TechNet

Massachusetts
Mina Reddy, Director, System for Adult Basic Education Support (SABES) Central
Resource Center, World Education

Steve Reuys, Director, Adult Literacy Resource Institute/Greater Boston SABES
Regional Support Center

George Kohout, Director, SABES Western Regional Support Center and has worked
for five years as Technology Coordinator

New Mexico
Nick Evangelista, Executive Director, New Mexico Adult Education Association

New York
Ira Yankwitt, Director of the New York City Regional Adult Education Network
(NYC RAEN), Literacy Assistance Center

Ohio
Jeff Fantine, Director of the Central/Southeast ABLE Resource Center at Ohio
University, participating on behalf of the Ohio ABLE Resource Center Network

Rhode Island
Janet Isserlis Project Director, Literacy Resources/RI