[NIFL-FOBASICS:205] Re: EFF- Content - Standards

From: ralph silva (silva_ralph@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 20:34:36 EST

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 20:34:36 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "ralph silva" <silva_ralph@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:205] Re: EFF- Content - Standards

Whoops! I mistakenly attached EFF to all three types of standards covered in
Regie's article. Many appologies. Still, Ronna's posting helps illustrate
one of Regie's points. Ronna says;
"As for the third set of 'EFF standards
identified' mentioned by Ralph, I don't know of any efforts underway to
develop EFF opportunity-to-learn standards (although plans may exist.)"
Regie's article talks about the importance of OTL standards and the fact
that "...explicit mention of OTL standards was dropped early on..."
When I talk to fellow teachers about standards in general, the most
mentioned concerns have to do with such things as; day care, transportation,
adequate time per student, classroom space, special needs, volunteers- in
other words, opportunity to learn issues.
Jeanette Baldridge alludes to the same issue in her posting. If we are to be
student centered, we need to be responsive to their time and space and
expressed needs requirements, in order to get to the place where we can
address content and performance. Maybe OTL standards should be an explicit
part of EFF. rs