[NIFL-FOBASICS:131] Re: New Moderator -Reply -Reply

From: Andres Muro (AndresM@nmail.epcc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 12:35:23 EDT

Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 12:35:23 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Andres Muro <AndresM@nmail.epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:131] Re: New Moderator -Reply -Reply

Don McCabe wrote:

"I believe you are assuming too much.  Those in
the lowest two levels of the
NALS are unable to decode three out of every
four words that contain those
phonic patterns that are not taught in phonics
programs.  Three out of every
four words they cannot read will contain one or
more of these phonic patterns
that are not taught. "

Don, et al:

I have a copy of the Executive Summary from
Adult Literacy in America-A First Look at the
Results of the NALS>  It was published by the
NCES in 1993. I think it is accessible in the
internet.

I must admit that I have not read it to thoroughly. I
also have not done much more extensive
research on the subject. However, here is what it
says on page 5 (I am paraphrasing):

Individuals in level 1 and 2 where less likely to
respond correctly to more challenging
tasks.....that required them to integrate or
synthesize information from complex or lengthy
texts....

These individuals did not necessarily see
themselves at risk. About 70% of those in level 1
and 2 felt that they could read or write well or very
well in English. It is therefore possible that they
can read sufficiently to meet their personal and
occupational literacy needs.

Again, I only read the report superficially, so I
may be missing something. Furthermore, I am not
a researcher so I have not researched the topic
thoroughly. However, I could not find any
reference in the report to inability to decode
certain phonic patterns. Could you or anyone
else with knowledge on this refer me to a source
about this?

Andres

>>> <DonMcCabe@aol.com> 09/09 7:21 am

In a message dated 9/8/99 1:27:38 PM Eastern
Daylight Time,
AndresM@nmail.epcc.edu writes:

<< In the US, most adults can decode words.
 However, while those who score in the lowest two
 levels of the NALS may be able to decode words,
 they cannot read for meaning and make sense of
 print. >>

I believe you are assuming too much.  Those in
the lowest two levels of the
NALS are unable to decode three out of every
four words that contain those
phonic patterns that are not taught in phonics
programs.  Three out of every
four words they cannot read will contain one or
more of these phonic patterns
that are not taught.  It is crucial that they learn to
decode words such as
crucial, special, social, commercial, financial,
etc., if they are ever to
become truly literate.  It is not enough to be able
to decode cat and dog,
cent and pal, pet and tail.  They need to be able
to decode the phonic
patterns of the polysyllabic words that came into
our language via the Latin,
Greek, French, Spanish, and Italian languages.
If you would like a list of
these patterns, you can go to the <A
HREF="http://www.avko.org/patternsnottaught.htm">Click here: Phonic Patterns
Seldom Systematically Taught</A> or
http://www.avko.org/patternsnottaught.htm
and check these words out on an adult who you
think can decode but cannot
comprehend what he is reading.  I will never
argue against the need for
teaching all the other skills of reading.  They all
need to be taught.  But
if you want to communicate over the telephone,
the first thing that you must
do is make sure you have a good connection and
that you hear what is being
said.  This is the phonics connection.  After that
all the other aspects come
into play including schema.  If you want a
complete listing of the power
patterns of phonics and how they differ from the
patterns of phonics of
monosyllabic words, just send your name and
address and $1.00 to cover the
postage.  Just ask for The Mechanics of English
Spelling and mention NIFL in
your letter.

Don McCabe, Research Director
AVKO Educational Research Foundation