[NIFL-FOBASICS:68] Re: Volunteer Recruitment

From: Dwyoho@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 15:32:15 EDT

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:32:15 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Dwyoho@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:68] Re: Volunteer Recruitment

Our best response has always been from television PSA's.  One of our local
stations is great about that. In second place are responses to free
classified-type announcements in small, weekly newspapers--the kind that you
pick up for free outside of restuarants.  We have also had response to our
website and are about to experiment with asking existing "corporate"
volunteers to post requests on their inter-office e-mail  We get a lot of
college students, but find them unreliable to the commitment of tutoring.
They are great for quick, one-time projects.  We rarely have luck with the
high-labor mall display or community "fair", and have stopped doing them.
Radio also less effective.  We have had several churches do literacy projects
by recruiting batches of volunters all from the same congregation.   Tell us
more about the south central conference.  I'm pretty new.  Debbie Yoho,
director, Greater Columbia Literacy Council, SC