[NIFL-FOBASICS:38] Re: Introducing Myself

From: Clover Williams (cnwilliams@goldenrule.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 1999 - 13:21:05 EST

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:21:05 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Clover Williams <cnwilliams@goldenrule.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:38] Re: Introducing Myself

I'm Clover Williams.  Like most of us, I have a patchwork of ABE
interests.  My GED is hanging on the wall next to my PhD.  For awhile I
taught college-level English in prison, mostly to guys who had gotten
their GEDs inside (and/or who should never have been placed in a college
program but were determined to make it work). Now I edit and publish a
little zine and website of prisoner-written literature.  (Some of the
stuff I publish is highly literate, and some isn't.)  My day job is
researching early childhood reading acquisition.  My most immediate
reason for being here, though, are my attempts to teach a friend to read
fluently.

Maybe someone has suggestions.  Technically she can read--she can pick
through words and has a fantastic vocabulary--but reading's halting and
unpleasant for her, and she has trouble with any but the simplest syntax
even in spoken speech.  She says letters swim, but only sometimes.  Knows
letter-sound correspondances, but could probably use some phonemic
awareness work.  No one ever told her about root words and such, so
spellings seem totally chaotic to her.  Learning about this stuff is
helping her comprehension of new words somewhat, but she doesn't have a
big enough picture of it yet to demystify sound representations.