[NIFL-FOBASICS:33] Re: Introductions -Reply

From: Intern1 (intern1@nifl.gov)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 11:21:28 EST

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:21:28 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: intern1@nifl.gov (Intern1)
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:33] Re: Introductions -Reply

Hello Focus on Basics fans.  I am a fellow at the National Institute for
Literacy this year and I am looking at research on thinking and learning and
what it has to offer us in adult education.  Before this I worked at Academy of
Hope, a GED program in DC, and before that wrote manuals and taught health and
safety classes to blue-collar workers around the US and worked with peer
trainers.

For my project I am writing a set of about 15 fact sheets (each about 6 pages
long) about learning topics, such as background knowledge, memory, reflection,
active learning, and so on.  I am looking at the basic science about learning
(from cognitive psychology) and the applied science (from educational
psychology).

I am curious about what y'all see as the role of research for our work teaching
basic reading/writing/math/computers, etc. to adults.  How can research help us?
What are the limitations of research?  Do you want to know more about the
research that is going on?  Do you think it is relevant?

P.S.  The 1999-2000 fellowship applications are almost ready.  I strongly
encourage people to apply!

Jennifer Cromley                         ph:     (202) 632-1500 x37
1998-99 Literacy Leader Fellow           fax:    (202) 632-1512
National Institute for Literacy          e-mail  intern1@nifl.gov or
800 Connecticut Ave., Ste. 200                   jcromley @aol.com
Washington, DC  20202-7560