[NIFL-FOBASICS:277] NCLE interview

From: Barbara Garner (Barbara_Garner@jsi.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 08:00:31 EDT

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:00:31 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <Barbara_Garner@jsi.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:277] NCLE interview

As teachers of adults, we know that learners bring with them
experiences and concerns that can impact the learning process.  As ESL
teachers, we know that this can include cultural, social, educational,
familial, employment, economic, or psychological issues, to name a
few.  We try to acknowledge and respect these issues in hopes of
supporting our learners.
NCLE invites you to read a new digest by Janet Isserlis that
addresses one such issue.  "Trauma and the Adult English Language
Learner" discusses issues of trauma, abuse, and violence as they
relate to adult immigrant learners and looks at the implications for
the adult ESL classroom.  You can access the digest via the World Wide
Web at http://www.cal.org/ncle/digests/trauma2.htm or you can request
a copy directly from NCLE (see contact information below).
Also now available from NCLE is the latest issue (vol 9, no1, summer
2000) our twice-yearly newsletter, NCLEnotes.  It includes a
discussion of helping refugees deal with stress and an interview with
Janet Isserlis, as well as news and an update on new resources.  Visit
http://www.cal.org/ncle/nclenote.htm to view in PDF or HTML versions.
While you're on the NCLE Web site, be sure to check out our updated
"Worth a Visit" page of links.
For more information on any of NCLE's products (many of them free)
,see our Web page (http://www.cal.org/ncle) or contact NCLE directly.
Thanks!
MaryAnn Florez
NCLE