[NIFL-FOBASICS:256] supporting persistence

From: ralph silva (silva_ralph@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 21:52:25 EDT

Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 21:52:25 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "ralph silva" <silva_ralph@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:256] supporting persistence

The Literacy-Now posting made me think of another aspect of learner
persistence; the supporting structure of the learning centers themselves. At
our center here in Vermont, I can see that continuity and quality of service
directly affect learner persistence. The center is located in a town
neighborhood, provides regular services at posted times. We do get local
funding from area towns, Rotary club, and the United Way. Those funds are of
a general type. They allow us to take care of unexpected circumstances as
they occur; things like down computers, book purchases, learner
transportation. The way I see it, my job as a teacher involves being at the
center, providing steady, reliable services, to aid in my learners'
persistence. Methodology is important. Continuity of service is also
important. I want to be there when my student has the "aha" moment. The
unrestricted funding we have helps make those moments possible.RS