[NIFL-FOBASICS:239] Review Essay of Contested Ground

From: GEORGE E. DEMETRION (gdemetrion@juno.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 07:31:31 EDT

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:31:31 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "GEORGE E. DEMETRION" <gdemetrion@juno.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:239] Review Essay of Contested Ground

Colleagues:

I have recently completed a review essay on Juliet Merrifield's NCSALL
study, "Contested Ground:  Performance Accountability in Adult Basic
Education."

The review essay is titled, "Reflecting on Culture Wars in Adult
ELiteracy Education:  Exloring Critical Issues in 'Contested Ground.'"

Though I raise certain critical issues on Merrifield's text, my
underlying respect for "Contested Ground," which I have read and reread
for over a year, remains strong.  I view it as one of the most important
policy statements on literacy/ABE of our tiimes.

Fair warning:  The review is lengthy (13,000 words), an almost
point-by-pont commentary on Contested Ground, though it draws some
different conclusions than does the NCSALL policy study.  As two of the
several colleagues who graciously reviewed the essay commented, perhaps
(at least as a second paper) a shorter analysis of key points would be
more appropriate to the current need of more directly contributing to the
shaping of the national vision on adult literacy that is high on the
current agenda.  I completely agree with that, though do not have time
right now to do that.  Perhaps someone, though, may write such a paper
based on Contested Ground, my review as well as the recently completed
second draft of the vision paper that is now accessible on the NIFL web
page.

With these caveats duly noted, perhaps some of you will find "Reflecting
on Culture Wars in Adult Literacy Education," of interest.  The work
represents an effort on my part to step back a bit from the immediacy of
the NLA discussion on federal policy (though I have re-immersed myself
back in) to examine some broader issues that the review format has
afforded.

The essay can be accessed at
http://www.nald.ca/fulltext/cultrwar/cover.htm

BTW, the resources placed in the National Adult Literacy Database (NALD)
full text collection represenst a gold mine of information.  I recommend
extensive browsing. Their address is

http://www.nald.ca/fulltext

George Demetrion
GDemetrion@juno.com