[NIFL-FOBASICS:238] Editorial Policy

From: Barbara Garner (Barbara_Garner@jsi.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 12:26:06 EST

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:26:06 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <Barbara_Garner@jsi.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:238] Editorial Policy

Thanks for all the suggestions you've been making vis-a-vis technology
topics and authors. Keep them coming!

I thought it was a good time to share a bit about our editorial
policy.

NCSALL makes a concerted effort to make this a national publication
and draw upon writers from across the country and from all kinds of
programs. In fact, I keep a list of the states that have been
represented in Focus on Basics and try to find writers from those
places we haven't yet heard from. (Right now I'm really looking for
people from Missouri and Hawaii.)

For that reason, we may not feature a particular program or author
because either the state has been represented much more often than
other states in FOB, or the author has already written for FOB.

In addition, we are aware that there are limited chances for people
to "get published" in the field of adult basic education, especially
in print publications. (Web publishing seems to be proliferating.) So
we shy away from reprinting articles. We would rather send people to
relevant publications, via the Blackboard, and publish something new.

For the most part, we seek out authors and commission them. Sometimes
people approach us with articles they want to write or have written.
Authors do get paid a stipend, based on the length of their articles.

We recruit an editorial board of three or four practitioners with
expertise in the theme of each issue, again keeping in mind geographic
and programmatic diversity. They are joined by three permanent
editorial board members. We work via conference call. The temporary
board members receive a stipend for their work.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about this process.

Barbara Garner, Editor

Barbara Garner                  phone (617) 482-9485
World Education                fax      (617) 482-0617
44 Farnsworth Street          e-mail bgarner@worlded.org
Boston, MA  02210-1211