[NIFL-FOBASICS:221] Re: writing

From: ralph silva (silva_ralph@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 20:09:09 EST

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:09:09 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "ralph silva" <silva_ralph@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:221] Re: writing

Here's a writing idea I got from a methods teacher. I adapted this idea
after having had some bad experiences with autobiographical student writing.
The class reads a short story. The class is then broken up into groups, with
each group concentrating on a particular aspect of the story-not things like
plot, theme, character, etc.-but things like dialog, reference to color,
scenery descriptions, or other interesting particulars of the story that
students choose. The groups then each write a collaborative piece about the
chosen story aspect. Finally, the pieces are bound together into a new
story, sort of a deconstructed amalgamation process-well, you get the idea.
Students can view the same story from a different point of view. The reading
can just as easily be a newspaper or magazine article. Also, this can be a
short or long term exercise, depending on student interest and length of the
reading.
The advantages of this kind of exercise lie in the group process involved,
and the fact that students can creatively write about something interesting,
yet not directly related to themselves and their own experiences. RS